Friday, November 13, 2009

Bisti Badlands Part II

Picking up where we left off in the previous blog about Bisti (scroll down past the next one to see it first if you haven't yet)...

And so the sun came out and the day warmed up at last. I was entranced all over again with the bizarre formations and roamed all over taking pictures with my little Pentax.

I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd been transported, like in some Twilight Zone episode, to an alien world. Rocks rose like waves, frozen into unimaginably delicate whipped froth.

And the beasts of the Bisti Badlands were everywhere, usually more humerous than frightening. If you click on this one to enlarge it you'll see what I mean.

Here's a great example of a disintegrated petrified tree, the vertical trunk fractured into fragments while the roots remain intact.

As the sun lowered in the west, the light kept getting better for photography. I needed to stay fairly close to the van. I didn't want to be out there lost in the dark!

I shot as late as I could, moving closer all the time to the sheltering cliff beside which I had parked, out of sight of the dirt road.

At last the sun set and I settled in for the night. It grew very cold, and I ate my simple supper in my sleeping bag inside the van. I soon fell into a deep and dreamless sleep. When I woke up the next morning I decided that I must've seen all there was to see of the Bisti. A fence stopped me from exploring further east, and to the west and north I could see the main road and distant buildings and power lines. I had read that this was a wilderness area made up of tens of thousands of acres, and, in spite of the natural beauty I had enjoyed, I was a bit disappointed. I decided to head to the larger part of the wilderness area, some miles east, called the De-Nah- Zin.

I started to drive back out to the main road, went about quarter of a mile, and stopped short. I was stunned by a sign and a stile marking the entrance to the Bisti-Denazin Wilderness Area. In my wonder at the landscape the day before, I had driven right past this modest parking area; the previous day's exploration had all been outside the actual designated site! I had another day I could spend hiking, and my time was my own, so I parked and hopped out with renewed enthusiasm. Cassidy, a bit confused but willing as always to go for a walk, led the way down the well-worn trail.


"Now Junior, behave yourself!"

We entered a large drainage basin shaped roughly like the upturned palm of a hand; the hand of one of the ancient Titans. There was a broad plain several miles in length, with finger-like canyons that disappeared into the higher land beyond. I knew I couldn't get lost; to return I could just head back downstream.

And there was indeed a stream, small and opaque, which thrilled the pooch. She can't pass a body of water without wanting to go into it. This one was no exception, and she came out pretty mucky and stinky. Although designated as a wilderness area, ranchers apparently are allowed to graze their cattle in the area. The creek was polluted. Crossing it to get away from the trail, we headed south and discovered...

...forms even more attenuated than those we had seen before...

...and wind sculpted hoodoos, while the evidence of a drowned forest remained all around us.

Exploring the flats we stumbled on these happy clams...or are they hamburgers?

With every step I discovered new delights. And it was practically deserted! I only saw one or two other people all day, though it was a weekend and a perfect day.

Then I spotted my first whole petrified log, perched on top of a mud pedestal. I had been to the Petrified Forest, in Arizona by Interstate 40. But there was a much greater sense of discovery here, where there were no trails to guide me, and no signs to interpret the sights, leaving me free wander and to speculate.

And so I sussed that when trees lay horizontally, they are not susceptible to the penetration of water, and don't break up with freezing the way the vertical ones do.

Which way shall we go? What a delight, to have such wide, trackless space to explore!

We found a beautifully preserved log in a sheltered nook and stopped for lunch. I had brought a bag of buffalo jerky, which proved to be the perfect trail food. Of course I shared it with Cassidy.

This side canyon was particularly beautiful, with many grand columns and petrified logs.

Everywhere we turned the beasts continued to emerge from the stone.

It was in that sacred canyon that I discovered someone had been moved to do ritual here. It seemed a fitting tribute.

In this close-up you can see how well the grain of the wood is preserved in stone.

At last it was time to turn back. I ran out of batteries for the camera just about then. From there I went on to De-Na-Zin, but was too tired to do much more hiking. However, I knew Steve would love this place as much as I did, and I planned to return with him just as soon as we could get away.

If you go, know that this is very, very basic: no campground, no water, no toilets. As you can see from the pictures, there is very little vegetation. Come prepared for desert hiking. Where a broad-brimmed hat, and

12 comments:

  1. "Beasts continue to emerge from the rock" Well said. You may be far more accurate that you realize. Those mushroom type rocks that appear all over the landscape there I believe are in fact "chattras" which in Sanskrit (the ancient language of India) literally translated means "mushroom". Chattras are one of The Eight Auspicious Symbols of Buddhism. There is growing evidence that the Anasazi culture was
    tied into the Vedic culture of India. For info
    on that google: "Mandalas, Manjis, Mantras, Monuments" or "hendon's geoglyphs"

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the petrified wood huge log collection in the
    Bisti Badlands was simply random then why are almost all of them elevated on raised earthen berms? The way they are presented like that could make one wonder if they were intentionally featured that way by someone who wanted them to be noticed. Thank you for your excellent shots of some of these petrified logs on your site. Google: "Were the Anasazi People Buddhist?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. For scientific evidence of Tibetan Buddhist influences in pre Columbian North America google:
    "Dimension of Dine (Navajo) and Buddhist Traditions". How could these strikingly similar
    beliefs be random?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is the idea of pre Columbian contacts between the
    Navajo, Hopi and perhaps the Anasazi culture with
    Tibetan Buddhism a "wild hypothesis"? Apparently the Dali Lama the current head of Tibetan Buddhism doesn't think so. He has written an endorsement letter in a book written on this topic. If anyone knows about this topic you could assume it would be him. The book is "Navajo and Tibetan Sacred Wisdom: The Circle of the Spirit" by Peter Gold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoodoos come in different sizes and shapes. If you look
    closely you begin to see distinct patterns and reoccurring
    shapes. One of those reoccurring shapes are phallic symbols. Phallic symbols have in ancient times and to this very day play a significant role in ALL Vedic religions
    originating in India. These patterns predate all modern
    religions and go back to the earliest shamanistic customs.
    Google: "Ian Parker Hoodoos". We you arrive at the site
    scroll down to "Hoodoo Pool" and " Hoodoo Reflection".
    In the background of both pictures you will see the same
    huge two tone phallus rock. Yes, there are many others
    here as well as in Asia. There is another one in Arches
    Natl Park in front of Double Arches. There are also others in that same park. For more information on this topic google: "Phallic Symbols North America". There is
    a lot more to be known about those hoodoos. How about
    "The King Arches Natl Park"? What's a Perisan Manticore from ancient India doing in Utah???

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoodoos aren't the only mysterious shapes in North America. How
    about the huge unusual grids that are found across our western states? Google: "The Joseph Needham North American Chessboard Grid Collection" for several articles and numerous images of these
    chessboard type grids that can only be recognized and appreciated
    via satellite photo imagery? The game of Dominoes originated in
    12th century China. Why then are there at least two huge domino
    style grids clearly visible from the sky above the Oregon coast apparently created by ancient deforestation techniques? Google:
    "The Joseph de Guignes Coastal Oregon Grids". All these mysterious
    formations may very well have extremely similar sources of origin.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You make several references to the petrified wood logs in the Bisti Badlands in your article. Do you know that petrified wood is revered in both ancient Buddhism as well as by the Anasazi cultural successors the Hopi tribe? For information on the Buddhist connection google: "Ancient Buddhist Petrified Wood" "According to Buddhist belief: Buddha died under a sala tree". For an ONLINE ARTICLE
    with a reference to the Hopi connection google: "The Snake
    Ceremonials at Walpi". This article was written based on
    two visits made to Walpi Village in 1891 and 1893 to observe the Hopi Snake Dance Ceremony around Snake
    Dancers' Rock. On page 50 of 135 "They (the Hopi and observers) followed the Mi-con-in-o-vi trail half way down the mesa, (First Mesa) to the PETRIFIED WOOD SHRINE.
    (The caps are mine). In your article you convey your sense
    of wonder and mystery at the Bisti landscape. Thank you
    for sharing your respect and appreciation of this treasure
    and for the pictures you have taken to share with us of the wonders that are there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm assuming that everybody knows the difference between a coincidence and a repeating pattern. It is commonly believed that the scores of petrified wood logs throughout the Bisti Badlands on raised sandstone platforms are simply random. But really??? Google: "Petrified Wood Logs Bisti Badlands" and then scroll quickly through "Bisti Badland Images" for more such examples that don't show up in the first search category. I believe you will be shocked at the number of these particular occurrences. This is a pattern and not random at all. Why are so many of these on raised sandstone platforms? Buddhists as well as the Hopi are on record of venerating Petrified Wood. Is that the reason? I believe it is and that the Anasazi people
    had the technology to do this as well as the other highly
    unusual rock configurations there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm assuming that everybody knows the difference between a coincidence and a repeating pattern. It is commonly believed that the scores of petrified wood logs throughout the Bisti Badlands on raised sandstone platforms are simply random. But really??? Google: "Petrified Wood Logs Bisti Badlands" and then scroll quickly through "Bisti Badland Images" for more such examples that don't show up in the first search category. I believe you will be shocked at the number of these particular occurrences. This is a pattern and not random at all. Why are so many of these on raised sandstone platforms? Buddhists as well as the Hopi are on record of venerating Petrified Wood. Is that the reason? I believe it is and that the Anasazi people
    had the technology to do this as well as the other highly
    unusual rock configurations there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For a spectacular image of a beautiful Buddhist Chattra in the Bisti Badlands google "Bent Hoodoo by Ned"

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Church Rock Cathedral in the Desert"

    ReplyDelete