Saturday, November 28, 2009

Trail Just South of Ghost Ranch

Warning: This is a particularly long blog! In the late summer of 2007 Steve and I drove home from a visit with my family in California, and brought my brother Russ along for a vacation. I had discovered this trail in Abiquiu (Ab-ee-kyoo) on a drive with the brother of my oldest friend. Peter, who is a photo journalist, was one of my inspirations to start this blog. I was eager to share it with Steve and Russ, and to explore further in the remarkable rockscape.

Drive north on NM 84 past Abiquiu, making the obligatory stop at Bodie's General Store for munchies. Climb the switchbacks above the Rio Chama to the higher mesa of Abiquiu Reservoir. The lake can be a fun stop on a hot day, but for me is a bit too popular, and spoiled by motorboats. When you pass the turn for the reservoir, continue until you see the rust red rock wall pictured above. There is a small turnout just before this formation.

A narrow goat track leads up the face of the cliff opposite. That is the hardest bit of the entire hike. Really, if I don't find it too hard, it is quite doable for most people. The reward for the short steep trek is some wonderful views of the lake, the Pedernal, and much more.

Drawn upwards by the natural flow of the land, you find yourself in a jumble of fractured rock cleaved from the cliffs above. Then, through a notch, you spot your next goal.

This monumental lingam is irresistible; once you spot it you must climb it!

Or at least climb to its base. Here my brother is dwarfed beside this great finger of rock. In the future I will ask him about posting some of his pix of that day here. They are beautiful...I have camera envy.

Me blissing out in a shady wash, cloud gazing.

A storm was blowing in, the clouds roiling and piling up right on top of us.

But we continued upwards, undaunted.

Rusty loves dogs, and Cassidy loves being loved!

We came upon a tree like an embracing mother...

Russ is as much of a shutterbug as I am. We both took a lot of shots of this remarkable juniper. This is an especially good area for weather beaten arboles.

A winding arroyo led us higher into the rocky terrain.

I didn't notice the face until I viewed the downloaded photo.

Such an attractive patch of prickly pear cactus! I took a number of pictures.

I moved in for a close-up...

And wound up with a footful of prickers! Watch out for cactus and yucca while hiking. In a kicking contest they always win.

Steve was waiting for me to catch up in this perfect pose.

Someone lives here...maybe a pack rat.

Russ and Cassidy scrambled as far as the top of this ridge, but Steve and I opted to wait below. I'm sure more beauty waits further in, but that is for another day.

Twisted, weathered wood set against the warm tones of sandstone create new visions of nature's artistry at every turn.

In the later days of the summer monsoon season, wild flowers bloom everywhere in New Mexico. This is my favorite time of year here.

Here you see the Pedernal once again silouetted against the stormy sky. This distinctive mesa was a favorite subject of Georgia O'Keefe, who lived and painted in the vicintity. I have no doubt that she had also journeyed into this obscure but accessible area. By now the boys were getting a bit antsy about the approaching storm...they had hiked together on Mount Baldy before, and been chased down by lightening.

We retraced our steps, but it all seemed new in the completely different light. It had been hot and sunny when we had first started out. Afternoon storms are typical in the monsoon season, and can bring lightening, hammering "male" rains and hail; not something you want to be caught out in!

A yellow Mentzia, one of many lovely and varied xeric natives.

Back to the spire and its attendant jumble of broken boulders.

Russ got ahead of us...we discovered he had taken up residence under a small overhang, and become a yogic master since we'd last seen him!

Steve asked to be accepted as a disciple. As it was beginning to sprinkle, Russ took mercy on us and invited us to join him in his humble shelter. The rain steadily increased, and we knew we'd have to go.

Fortunately we had come prepared, and put on raincoats for the last leg of our descent.

By now the guys were becoming impatient with my slow pace and continual photography, but the rain had turned slickrock to frozen waves and I couldn't stop!

A giant's toes are just visible...reminds me of the rock creature in Hellboy 2.

More living rocks...I just love this kind of magickal place!

Down in the bottom of the gorge, the vegetation reponds to the gathered waters and extra shade. After a hike like this we sometimes have dinner at the Abiquiu Inn, which has slow service but good food and a nice gift shop. About an hour's drive north of Santa Fe, there are many beautiful places to explore off the beaten track in the Abiquiu area, and I plan to cover several of my favorites in future blogs.


No comments:

Post a Comment